TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Yessir. Dunno if I would do it again up front but my setup
People Seeking Info

Subject Yessir. Dunno if I would do it again up front but my setup

Posted by nissubaru on July 25, 2018 at 1:07 PM
  This message has been viewed 477 times.

In Reply To Anyone running 18x9.5 square? What offets, tire sizes? Pix? posted by Barry (NJ) on July 25, 2018 at 08:59 AM

Message is Forgestar CF5 18x9.5 +38. I used a 10mm spacer up front to make it +28 effectively, but not because of brake clearance. I was worried about rubbing on the control arm on the inside. I didn't attempt to fit the wheels without the spacer so I couldn't tell you if they would have worked otherwise. I had issues with fitment in the front but the rear was perfect. More on that later down.

I staggered the tire sizes, up front is 255/35/18. Rear is 275/35/18. I have not rolled any of my fenders and fortunately enough, I haven't experienced much rubbing even though I am lowered on Tanabe springs (supposedly 1.5"F, 1.1"R drop). I did get a little squeak on a big dip the other day but it was not worth to worry about.

Up front however, I had some issues with fitment and rubbing on the coolant overflow tank on the drivers side. The passengers side is perfectly fine but when turning the wheel to the right it definitely rubs against the overflow tank. I also do not have the front fender liners on my car, they would definitely get rubbed on. However, the rear fender liners that cover the AIVs are still on.

I also installed all the powertrix adjustable arms to get my alignment in spec, unfortunately my caster is about a degree off. Everything else is in spec though. You can see pics of my alignment sheet and pics of the fitment on my instagram page. Link here

Sorry if that's long-winded, there are a lot of things to consider when you start going this big. The rears can handle it from what I can tell, it's the front where you are going to have issues. If your plan is to run 18x9.5 square including a square tire setup then I think you're screwed unless you are going with the smaller tire size of the two. Also make sure you don't go with too crazy of an offset after spacer. Some people will get like +22 and then throw on a +10 or +15mm spacer which makes it stick out like crazy. Try and shoot between +20 to +30 after spacer.

Last but not least, if I were to do it again I probably would go with a smaller front wheel. What good is a square wheel setup if the tires aren't square either?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.